Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html
Date: Sat, 16 May 2020 23:57:40 +0900

On 5/16/20 12:46 AM, William Stein wrote:
> Dear Octave Maintainers,
>
> Would it be possible to list my company -- SageMath, Inc. -- here:
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html
>
> If so I would write up a short paragraph, subject to your approval of course.
>
> The way in which we support Octave is that we provide a service called
> CoCalc that makes it easy to Octave for teaching classes (and also
> collaborative research), mainly via Jupyter notebooks:
>
>    https://cocalc.com/doc/octave.html
>
> Though the core site code is free
> (https://github.com/sagemathinc/cocalc-docker), we sell support and
> hosting to a lot of universities and some companies.   Frequently they
> will ask us support questions, sometimes involving Octave (e.g., how
> do I plot this?, can you install that package?), and we'll answer
> them.
>
>  -- William

Dear William,

CoCalc looks like a great tool for teaching and universities.  Your
software is free and open-source, one can run CoCalc on-premises, you
let people try the cloud version for free, and you seem capable of
providing commercial support for Octave.  To my knowledge there are no
formal criteria to be listed on this page yet.

If there are no objections by jwe and other maintainers, I would be
happy to add an entry for your company to the Octave website.

Kai