Octave VM package for Mac

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Octave VM package for Mac
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 15:46:05 +0900

On 5/20/20 2:40 PM, edmund ronald wrote:
> Kai btw, there used to a reference to my own Octave VM package for the
> Mac; I can't find it any more - is there any reason this has been
> removed, eg user complaints?
>
> Edmund

Edmund, I recently overhauled the wiki [1] after failing to give
installation advice to a new macOS user.  Finally, I got Octave to work
quite easily with Homebrew.

That page [2] was of no help anymore.  Too many outdated options for
installation and too much overwhelming (outdated) information for users
who just want to get a recent Octave version to work.

I do not doubt your VM approach still works.  I skimmed the readme
provided in the Google Drive zip from 2016 and read about three tools to
install and was not convinced that this is the "easy way" to go for a
student to install Octave.  The advertised Octave version 4.2.2, as well
as macOS versions (10.13, "High Sierra", 2017, end of support 2020) are
rather old.  Thus I have decided to move your project to an outdated
wiki page [3].

This is of course a wiki, no decision is final.  If you update your
project description for recent Octave and macOS versions, you can add
that information anywhere in the wiki you find it useful.

Kai

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_macOS
[2]
https://wiki.octave.org/wiki/index.php?title=Octave_for_macOS&oldid=12969