Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:14:24 -0500

On 3/12/21 10:38 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> How active is the Octave IRC these days?

Somewhat. There's a dozen or so regulars, including jwe and some core
contributors. There's a user question or a developer conversation a few
times a week.

> I was in a seminar for an open source finite element tool, Elmer,  that
> addressed user issues and got into some discussion about how to enhance
> their contributor community.  I received the follow up copied below
> (trimmed to protect the innocent), from the person maintaining a Discord
> server for Elmer, Modelica, and others. I wasn't aware that there's a
> way to 'bridge' discord and IRC. Realizing we've decided to try moving a
> lot of communication to Discourse, is something like this worth pursuing?

I'm not sure bridging them is an option or good idea: the #octave IRC on
freenode is a "no public logging, please" channel. Bridge it to Discord
and you've got public logging, and in another community too.

The #matlab and #octave channels on Modelica look pretty new and dead.
If you're interested in trying out Discord, you might also consider the
Matlab Discord, which is hopping, and gets a fair amount of
Octave-specific traffic.

https://discord.gg/bBMbNCT

Maybe a closer fit to Octave in subject matter. But maybe not a good fit
for the GNU Octave community: while officially an independent project
not run by MathWorks, there's plenty of MathWorkers there, including
among the administrators.

A while back we also had a brief look at Matrix, a distributed open
source chat server and competitor to Discord. I set up a little "Numeric
Cafe" community there for discussing numeric programming, with a channel
for Octave.

https://matrix.to/#/!lhiArLgEWzbSrDKDbK:matrix.org?via=matrix.org

This Matrix experiment got basically zero interest or traffic; I think
everyone decided they just preferred IRC. It's still up if you want to
try it, though.

I also tried setting up an IRC-to-Matrix bridge in a non-public-logging
manner, but there were technical difficulties (related to nickserv
stuff). Might have similar problems with IRC-to-Discord, even if the
public-logging isn't an issue.

What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/ ?

Cheers,
Andrew