Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 23:18:42 -0400

On 3/16/21 6:02 PM, Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:

>>> What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
>>> they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/
>>

>> Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of
>> open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They
>> tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling
>> language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical
>> systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than
>> the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses)
>> listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).
>
> Is it not these guys?
>
> https://www.openmodelica.org/
>
> Open Modelica is the usual reference for open source Modelical modelling.

So, looks like the Modelica Discord is just some dude who works with
Modelica and OpenModelica, and took it upone himself to set up a
community-oriented Discord server for Modelica discussion. (And ain't
nothin' wrong with that, and they did a good job!)

I get the Modelica (language/reference) vs OpenModelica (open
implementation) distinction now. (Though I still know nothing about
industry/practical usage.)

Bummer that Modelica is using a roll-your-own license. I have no idea
how to assess that.

Cheers,
Andrew