Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel

From: Nicholas Jankowski
Subject: Re: Fwd: [info] Octave Discord channel
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 12:28:29 -0500

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 11:14 AM Andrew Janke <floss@apjanke.net> wrote:

On 3/12/21 10:38 AM, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:

I'm not sure bridging them is an option or good idea: the #octave IRC on
freenode is a "no public logging, please" channel. Bridge it to Discord
and you've got public logging, and in another community too.

that's a very good point.

This Matrix experiment got basically zero interest or traffic; I think
everyone decided they just preferred IRC. It's still up if you want to
try it, though.

I'm not really a heavy IRC user. Generally on systems where IRC connection isn't an option. email/discourse seem to serve my needs.

What do you know about Modelica? Just how Open or Free Software are
they? Are they these folks: https://www.modelica.org/

Yes, it's those folks. I'm not very familiar, but have heard of a number of open source scientific and engineering tools working with their tools. They tell me they are an association focused on "promoting the Modelica modeling language for modelling, simulation and programming of physical and technical systems and processes."  I've never used their tools myself.  And other than the BSD one I don't see their licences (https://www.modelica.org/licenses) listed for comparison (https://choosealicense.com/appendix/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_and_open-source_software_licences).