Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid AMD64

From: David Conger
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] Paparazzi on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid AMD64
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:43:28 -0800

Toby,

I fly with my VM. Works great. Free too. VMWare isn't free but VirtualBox is. I tried both. I may even go "Native" and use BootCamp to get access to the Accelerated Graphics. For me I just wanted to keep it simple. Instead of a Windows system for X-CTU (modems) and u- center (GPS) then Linux for GCS I went with VMs to simplify my life.

I prefer VirtualBox simply because it's free and I found Parallels (another VM) and VMWare didn't offer anything extra for the costs. Also USB works great in all the VMs. So using the FTDI cable or the USB to program with is all simple. Mac OS and the VMs (except windows I had to load a driver for that ... no surprises there) have never crashed or had issues.

Hope this helps.

-David Conger