paxutils-forum

Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:41:33 +0200

Hi,

There was a post some time ago [1] about whether a tarfs implementation should
be part of the GNU paxutils package. I have been working on a basic
implementation (read-only so far) of a tar filesystem which works apparently
quite well but is based on code from Midnight Commander (regarding the tar
file parsing).  Of course, this would be better if we were able to use code
from paxutils. Has there been some progress regarding the implementation of a
libpax?

So far, tarfs is able to read transparently gzipped and bzip2'd files using
one of the Hurd libraries (libstore). Will there be such a facility in
paxutils?

Thanks,
Ludovic.

PS: I'm not a list member.