paxutils-forum

Re: Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:18:44 +0200 (MEST)

>From: "Ludovic Courtès" <address@hidden>

>There was a post some time ago [1] about whether a tarfs implementation should
>be part of the GNU paxutils package. I have been working on a basic
>implementation (read-only so far) of a tar filesystem which works apparently
>quite well but is based on code from Midnight Commander (regarding the tar
>file parsing).  Of course, this would be better if we were able to use code
>from paxutils. Has there been some progress regarding the implementation of a
>libpax?

Does your code implement the PAX archive format or rather GNU tar?

>So far, tarfs is able to read transparently gzipped and bzip2'd files using
>one of the Hurd libraries (libstore). Will there be such a facility in
>paxutils?

Did you test it for POSIX compliance?

Check at least:

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/testscripts/ustar-all-quicktest.tar
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/testscripts/ustar-big-2g.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/testscripts/ustar-big-8g.tar.bz2

and read

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star/testscripts/README.quicktest

Jörg

 EMail:address@hidden (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       address@hidden           (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       address@hidden           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling