paxutils-forum

Re: Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: Tar filesystem for the GNU Hurd
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:06:30 +0200 (MEST)

>From address@hidden Sun Aug 25 00:58:28 2002

>On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 04:18:44PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> Does your code implement the PAX archive format or rather GNU tar?

>Rather GNU tar.

Then eigher your code needs to be able to detect the GNU tar format
from the POSIX deviations or the test needs to fail woth long filenames.

>> Did you test it for POSIX compliance?

>I did. It works with ustar-all-filetypes.tar but hard links fail with
>ustar-all-quicktest.tar. That's the reason why I'd prefer to use "safe" code
>such as code from the paxutils package.

Mmmm, Did you use "star -diff -v ...." to compare the archive against the
'mounted FS'?

If this works you could call your FS safe with the possible (to be tested)
exception of large file handling.

Only looking at the mounted FS will not make sure that the long filenames
are handled correctly... so calling star -dif -v is needed.

Jörg

 EMail:address@hidden (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       address@hidden           (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       address@hidden           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling