perlsgml-dev

Re: [Perlsgml-dev] [FYI/RFC] SGML::Parser::OpenSP and SGML::Parser...

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Perlsgml-dev] [FYI/RFC] SGML::Parser::OpenSP and SGML::Parser...
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:25:11 -0500

On April 6, 2003 at 01:19, Terje Bless wrote:

> On the off chance that this list isn't /completely/ dead yet... :-)

I think it exists for the purpose of getting a spam message once
in awhile :-)

> I'm working on a Perl wrapper for the OpenSP[0] SGML Parser; implemented
> using C++ and XS with the "generic" API to OpenSP. Despite beeing very much
> geared towards my specific use for it (a HTML Validator[1]) and not
> implementing "complete" bindings to libosp, I'm planning on releasing it to
> CPAN as SGML::Parser::OpenSP.
>
> I'm sending this message here for two reasons:
>
> 1. The perlSGML distribution appears to be the "owner" of the
>    "SGML::Parser" namespace on CPAN so I'd like to coordinate with
>    it before releasing anything into that namespace.
>
> 2. I'm thinking about the possibility of having a generic "SGML::Parser"
>    front end module with pluggable backends. In particular, this would
>    make the SGML::Parser from perlSGML be SGML::Parser::Perl (or somesuch).
>
> Any comments/thoughts on this?

More power to you.  I personally have no problem if you want to use
the perlSGML repository on savannah to host your work.  I, or Yann,
could add you in as a developer if you are interested.  If your code
is going to be licensed under the same terms as Perl, then there
will be no licensing conflicts.  perlSGML is currently under the GPL,
but I can re-license it to match Perl (which allows users to use the
GPL or Artistic license).

As for the package names, I do not have a problem if your work becomes
SGML::Parser, assuming it becomes part of perlSGML.  Since perlSGML
has not been touched in a long time, I would prefer not to have to
make a new release just to accomodate a module name change if the
distribution will no longer contain SGML::Parser.

If your code is well-structured, I may even get motivated to
contribute to the work you have done.  I'm currently doing some
contract work involving SGML, so I at least have some renewed
interest.

It would be nice to see perlSGML get updated to use more robust tool
sets.  My initial goal of having a "pure-Perl" solution is no longer
a goal wrt perlSGML.  I would prefer to have a robust took set that
people will use and I think something that hooks into OpenSP would
be great.

--ewh