perlsgml-dev

Re: [Perlsgml-dev] [FYI/RFC] SGML::Parser::OpenSP and SGML::Parser...

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Perlsgml-dev] [FYI/RFC] SGML::Parser::OpenSP and SGML::Parser...
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:34:27 +0200

Hi Terje,

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:14:57AM +0200, Terje Bless wrote:
> Heh! Therein lies some of the problem; the code is about as far from
> structured as you could imagine. This project was started partially so I
> could learn C++ and XS; I started out with pretty much zero knowledge of
> either, or even of plain C. The code looks pretty much as you'd expect from
> that.

Have you looked at SWIG[1] to create bindings ?  It really avoids diving
into XS specificities, and additionally allows to create bindings for
other languages (python, java, guile, ...).

> Also, the "generic" API to OpenSP is rather limited -- I'm not sure yet
> whether it can even get close to match what SGML::Parser provides today! --
> and I don't even implement "bindings" to it, just some functions that
> happen to /use/ that API.

Maybe openjade's libospgrove would be closer to what you need than libosp ?

> [0] - OpenSP uses ca. 1996-era C++ and it shows; all datatypes are
>       internal hacks instead of using the STL. Strings are "unsigned
>        char*", attribute values are returned as chunked "CharString*s"
>      etc. Even I can see that this stuff is _crufty_!

Well, many people would love to see someone volunteering to cleanup
all of this :)

[1] http://www.swig.org/ - package swig1.3 in Debian

--
Yann Dirson <address@hidden>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique