Re: Graphics & Music

From: Kenneth Gangstoe
Subject: Re: Graphics & Music
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 18:00:02 +0200

Quoting Matthias Bauer (address@hidden):
> On 9/4/2002 4:56 PM Kenneth Gangstoe wrote:
>
> >Quoting David Philippi (address@hidden):

> >>There's MIDI support in ClanLib and I'd guess that the average MIDI is a
> >>tenth of the size of an Ogg Vorbis file. Maybe that MIDI won't sound as
> >>nice if it's played with a worse soundcard then the one used to same MIDI
> >>to Ogg Vorbis but a download of 100 MB would be far worse in my opinion.
> >
> >No, ClanLib does not support MIDI. MIDI is a dead format, and please stop
> >using it - it sucks :) (It never sounds the same on the composers machine
> >as it does on the endusers machine anyway)
>
> Umm. Midi is dead? Since when? :P
> (Semi-)Professional musicians might disagree.

For games? Well, its been dead for quite some time IMO.
Its not a bunch of professional musicians that will play this game,
its a bunch a gamers. Ok, it might sound great on your good sound eq,
but why would you use it when you can't guarantee that everyone
will even heard remotely the same?

If I was a musician, one of my top priorities would be that
my listeners heard it in the exact same way as I envisioned it. With MIDI
thats just not possible.

Yes, OGGs would make it a few hundred times bigger. Personally,
I wouldnt care to download the extra megs, even though I'm on a slow
link.

- Kenneth