Re: Graphics & Music

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Graphics & Music
Date: 05 Sep 2002 12:17:38 +0200

Matthias Bauer <address@hidden> writes:

> What is needed graphics-wise?

 - a pingu jump animation
 - a walker<->digger translate animation
 - a cleanup/repaint of the main menu
 - a few buttons in the editor need a different icon
 - lots more which I currently don't remember

> What graphics formats does pingus use?

PNG. For simple sprites we use 255color PNGs + 1bit alpha. 24bit PNG +
8bit alpha would work in theory, but consumes quite a bit of CPU
usage, so we only use it for small things where it is really needed
(fog particles for example). JPEG is used for all backgrounds which
don't neeed a alpha channel. If you use multilayered images (.xcf) in
the creation it would be good to get them as well, could make later
fixes of the images easier in a few situations.

> What is needed music-wise? Genre-wise?

data/music/ contains the music that we currently, other music should
be similar in style. There are a few themes which could need
more music (space, sweets, mud, ordina).

> Does ClanLib support MIDI well, or would a MIDI sampled to OGG be
> better?

Use whatever your music software supports and which gives the best
quality, if it uses just plain Midi than use Midi, if your music
software supports more stuff and effects which will require output to
a wav than use wav, we or you can then convert the wav to .ogg for in
game use.

> Do you need any more sounds?

Yes, definitly. Replacing some of the current sounds is also ok, since
all those few current sounds where might quite quickly and could
probally be done quite a bit better (they where my first experiments
with creating sound effects so...).

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927