Re: Graphics & Music

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Graphics & Music
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:14:22 +0200

On Thursday 05 September 2002 00:11, Matthias Bauer wrote:
> If timidity has a soft-wavetable, no problem at all. And even if not,
> you can restrict yourself to General MIDI and should have a somewhat-ok
> sound on all systems. We could alternatively offer Pingus CD version -
> some time :p

Since I didn't really know what TiMidity++ is, I just looked it up. ;-)
It's a MIDI Player / WAV Converter. You may use it to either play a .mid and
some other formats directly or convert them to .wav using some Wavetables it
provides. This means it would be no problem at all to include MIDI in Pingus
and a simple script converting all .mid --> .wav using TiMidity++ (and
probably .wav --> .ogg) which should be used by anyone with a bad soundcard.
Since it seems to work unter Win32 I see no problems with this approach. Any
different opinions?

BTW if sound is really that bad on a cheap soundcard we should also use it to
convert the .mod files in Pingus.