The Level Editor (Was Re: Diff of possible English changes)

From: Andy Balaam
Subject: The Level Editor (Was Re: Diff of possible English changes)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 14:56:50 +0100

Hi Ingo, thanks for the response.

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

Andy Balaam <address@hidden> writes:
- Are there general instructions on how to build levels
We have this, buts its pretty much outdated:

* http://pingus.seul.org/levelbuilding-tutorial.html

Thanks - this will be useful. Is this linked from the main web site? I couldn't find it.

(e.g. how to make the switch-and-door object work)?
Looks like a bug, the switch isn't visible in the editor.

Aaah ... ok I'll wait / investigate.

- Are there instructions on more technical issues like how to make
new ground pieces?
"Insert g" or do you mean via Gimp or other paint programms? If the
later simply paint a 256color png with 1bit alpha channel drop it into
the right folder and run in data/ gen-scrfile.scm, thats at least the
official way.

Yes, I do mean via Gimp. Thanks for the instructions - this works except my Alpha channels are messed up. I think I'm not using a 1bit alpha channel. Any clues on how to make Gimp do this? I can't find it.

The not-so-much tested and finished, but userfriendly
way is to copy the image to ~/.pingus/images/ and insert with "Insert f g"

This doesn't do anything at the moment.

- Are there plans to improve the level editor?  (I might be able to help.)
Beside some bug fixing not really. Works for me[tm].
What I am thinking of:

Short term:

- Some kind of grid
- Fine control of position of objects, possibly using Ctrl-Arrow etc.

Longer term:

- Maybe a new GUI using a GUI toolkit like wxWindows. This would offer greater ease of use and less to learn initially. Also nice features like a right-click menu that can e.g. insert an object at the cursor position or change the properties of the selected object.

What do people think of ideas like that?  Might they be useful?

Andy