Re: The Level Editor

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: The Level Editor
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:15:16 -0500

Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
"Neil Mitchell" <address@hidden> writes:

I think that a proper GUI environment would probably be better
suited to the level designer, instead of the ClanLib thing at the
moment.

The only advantage a real GUI toolkit would give is less CPU usage.
Beside that we don't really need all that much widget or stuff,
clanGUI has enough of that for our use.

I don't see much point in throwing a 95% working editor out of the
window and writing something from scratch, its not that we have dozen
of level desigers complaining...

Beside that I kind of like instant level testing that an integrated
editor allows, which you couldn't really get all that easily with a
seperate one.

I have to agree with Ingo...I have very few complaints about the level editor, and I've made three or four real (i.e. playable) levels with it. I would like to see the creation of new objects documented better (I figured out how to make a pre-fab by basing it on an existing one, but I'd have a hard time making a pre-fab from scratch). I have only begun to make new graphics though, so I'm sure there are still a few things that will confuse me.

Overall the editor is very good. My biggest complaints so far, are that it crashes when inserting any entrance other than the generic one, and that is crashes on attempting to start a new project. It also crashes in a few seemingly random places, but I don't see those much. I have yet to try the CVS version, so these things may be fixed by now.

It also gets confused in the testing mode sometimes, and loses some of the images--the pingus show up as a box saying "404 Not Found". The level plays ok, if started from the command line, though.

Oh, one more thing that has me confused...The drop rate for the pingus doesn't seem to act the way I would expect. I can get "fast" and "far too fast to believe", but nothing slower than "fast", and the numbers I enter in the rate field seem to have very little to say about whether I get "fast" or "faster enough to make the pingus age slower than the player due to relativity". Maybe I just don't understand how the drop rate should be set.
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
Web caching appliances and support.