Re: The Level Editor

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: The Level Editor
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:16:02 +0200

Andy Balaam <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks - this will be useful. Is this linked from the main web site?
> I couldn't find it.

Not at the moment.

> Yes, I do mean via Gimp.  Thanks for the instructions - this works
> except my Alpha channels are messed up.  I think I'm not using a 1bit
> alpha channel.  Any clues on how to make Gimp do this?

Convert the image to indexed mode, that will automatically use 1bit
alpha.

>>The not-so-much tested and finished, but userfriendly
>>way is to copy the image to ~/.pingus/images/ and insert with "Insert f g"
>>
> This doesn't do anything at the moment.

Yep, only "Insert f h" is implemented at the moment, groundpiece to
hotspot converter is also missing.

> - Some kind of grid

Maybe, some kind of snaping objects together would be handy from time
to time.

> - Fine control of position of objects, possibly using Ctrl-Arrow etc.

Already possible, but not all that precise due to keyrepeat. I'll fix
it one day.

> - Maybe a new GUI using a GUI toolkit like wxWindows. This would
> offer greater ease of use and less to learn initially. Also nice
> features like a right-click menu that can e.g. insert an object at
> the cursor position or change the properties of the selected object.

clanGUI should be able to handle that if anybody cares enough to
implement it, I am happy with "Insert g".

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927