pspp-dev

Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:40:33 -0700

> Previously, we discussed the idea of keeping seperate branches for
> bug fixes and primary development.
>
> We've already commited some bug fixes to the master (which now has the
> version number 0.6.1).  Should we now make a 0.7.0 branch for development?

I can see two ways to do this.  One is just as you say.  The
other would be to keep doing development on the branch we're
using, and then periodically choose the commits that are just bug
fixes and add just those commits to a bug fix branch using "git
cherry-pick".

Either way, I want to push out the change that generates
ChangeLogs automatically from the Git log before we branch.
Otherwise, just about every change will conflict (because they
all change the top of a ChangeLog file).  I think I sent out a
patch for that earlier--did you have a chance to look at it?
--
"Ho ho ho. I _so_ enjoy making a fool out of myself."
--Linus, on Christmas Day, 2000