pspp-dev

Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:59:35 +0800

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 09:40:33AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     > We've already commited some bug fixes to the master (which now has the
     > version number 0.6.1).  Should we now make a 0.7.0 branch for
development?

     I can see two ways to do this.  One is just as you say.  The
     other would be to keep doing development on the branch we're
     using, and then periodically choose the commits that are just bug
     fixes and add just those commits to a bug fix branch using "git
     cherry-pick".

I'm not familiar with the cherry-pick command, but presumably it
would involve manual intervention to select the commits which should
and should not go into the bug fix release, and to resolve any
conflicts which might arise.  I think this will lead to mistakes which
go undetected, especially as the pressure is on just before release
time.

     Either way, I want to push out the change that generates
     ChangeLogs automatically from the Git log before we branch.
     Otherwise, just about every change will conflict (because they
     all change the top of a ChangeLog file).  I think I sent out a
     patch for that earlier--did you have a chance to look at it?

This patch pushed now.  Is the time right to make a decision on this?

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3