pspp-dev

Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Bug Fix vs. Development Branch
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:32:50 -0700

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 09:40:33AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>
>      > We've already commited some bug fixes to the master (which now has the
>      > version number 0.6.1).  Should we now make a 0.7.0 branch for
> development?
>
>      I can see two ways to do this.  One is just as you say.  The
>      other would be to keep doing development on the branch we're
>      using, and then periodically choose the commits that are just bug
>      fixes and add just those commits to a bug fix branch using "git
>      cherry-pick".
>
> I'm not familiar with the cherry-pick command, but presumably it
> would involve manual intervention to select the commits which should
> and should not go into the bug fix release, and to resolve any
> conflicts which might arise.  I think this will lead to mistakes which
> go undetected, especially as the pressure is on just before release
> time.

I am not sure that the situation is any different with multiple
branches.  If you have a bug-fix-only branch and a main
development branch, you still need to choose which branch to put
a given change into, and you still need to resolve conflicts
when you merge branches.  No?

But I'm happy to open a 0.7.0 branch.

> This patch pushed now.  Is the time right to make a decision on this?

Yes.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org