Re: [RP] Ratpoison comments from a new user

From: sabetts
Subject: Re: [RP] Ratpoison comments from a new user
Date: Sat Sep 1 21:37:01 2001

At Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:15:17 -0500 , Jay Belanger <address@hidden> wrote:

>Okay, I've just got to say that ratpoison is the coolest window
>manager that I've come across.

Excellent!

>Once the KDE support is fixed and themes are implemented, it can only
>get better.

real soon now :)

>I'm using the cvs version (I checked it out yesterday) and one minor
>bug that I thought I'd mention is that when ratpoison starts up, it
>tells you to use C-t ? for help, even if the prefix key has been
>changed.  Not that big of a deal, though.
>Also, the info file is slightly out of date.
>For escape, it still says to use the ^b notation, instead of C-b.
>It also doesn't mention the rudeness command, or select -.

The documentation will be updated shortly and definitely before the 1.0.0
release which is scheduled for sometime around this monday.

>And if I can make a wish list, here it is.
>Some things that it would be nice to be configurable, from the command
>line or with a colon command, are things like whether ratpoison quits
>when the last window closes, the size of the dialog box (currently
>compile time options), and the font used, and the cursor that
>indicates ratpoison is waiting for another keystroke.
>Also, the ability to remove keybindings would be nice (on the todo

For ease of use, I suppose most of the custos in conf.h should be colon
commands. I'll take a look at these requests and make the appropriate ones
colon commands.

the unbind command should definitely be added, and is an easy one. It will be
done.

>list), and the ability to have the select command, when called
>interactively, show the managed windows, a combined windows/select
>command would be helpful.

I don't quite follow. Do you mean it should allow you to interactively pick the
window you want to go to with, say the arrow keys (or some other movement
keys)? I'm fairly reluctant to add something like that.

>But the bottom line is that ratpoison, as is, is the best (in my
>opinion) wm that I've come across.
>Thanks, Shawn, and good-bye rodent.

It's my pleasure. Let's not forget the hard work of Gergely, Ryan, and the rest
of you who have made rp what it is today.