Re: [RP] Patch to stop shells from being left around

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Patch to stop shells from being left around
Date: Thu Oct 4 23:32:02 2001

shawn <address@hidden> types:
> Mike Meyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I noticed that the exec and xterm commands tended to leave an "sh -c"
> > hanging around. This seems strange considering the "ugly dance" that
> > spawn goes through to prevent zombies, as zombies only take up a
> > process slot but the shells use memory that would otherwise be free.
> Does the "sh -c" go away after the command is finished? Someone else
> was having this problem. I think he was using 'ash' for /bin/sh. For
> me /bin/sh is a symlink to /bin/bash. I have noticed that "sh -c"'s
> are not left behind...for me anyway.

Yes, they go away after the command exits. But I tend to start xterms
(and xemacs, and vnc, and jpilot, and ...)  and leave them running
forever - meaning I've got the "sh -c"'s hanging around forever.

That's why I wrote the "ratpoison-get-a" script, to find a foo if I've
got it running, and if not to run a foo. I tend to have a lot of
things running at one time. Which is why the patch after the next was
going to be one to do something about the bar for "windows". I find
that it's frequently wider than my screen.

> What 'sh' are you using?

/bin/sh on FreeBSD 4-STABLE.

        Thanx,
        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.