Re: [RP] Patch to stop shells from being left around

From: Mike Meyer
Subject: Re: [RP] Patch to stop shells from being left around
Date: Wed Oct 10 06:58:06 2001

Doug Kearns <address@hidden> types:
> >I tried
> >writing it as a shell command - then a script - and kept getting bit
> >by backtick parsing not recognizing quotes :-(. So I gave up and wrote
> >it in Python. Apologies to anyone who uses it and has to change the
> >paths.
> >

> Well, here's the little hack that I've been using for a while.
> It's probably even less portable than a python script, and a _whole_ lot
> uglier :)
> It does, however, use the current value of defwinfmt for the ratmenu labels.

That's actually a nice thing to do. The eval is the trick I missed,
though the use of <(...) is a good trick. I think you could simplify
it by making the second invocation of rp like so:
        <( ratpoison -c "windows ratpoison -c 'select %n'" )

Hmm - one possible problem - what happens if a window vanishes between
invocations?

> Now, if I only I could find the time to patch ratmenu so that we can
> escape ':' characters in the label.

Yup, that was part of the problem.

        <mike

P.S. Thunder, lightening and 2cm hail here. Thank the gods for UPS's
as the light just moved from inside to outside for a second.

--
Mike Meyer <address@hidden>                     http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?              A: Tell them your plans.