Re: [RP] Session Managment

From: twb
Subject: Re: [RP] Session Managment
Date: Mon Sep 15 04:55:02 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 00:33:58 +0200
Nikolai Weibull <address@hidden> wrote:

> Would it be painful to add session management to ratpoison?  For my
> purposes it wouldn't even be necessary to store frame layout data, I
> just want my ratpoison to play nice with gnome-session,
>       nikolai

Last time I checked, yes.  To do any sort of session management, *EVERY*
managed app has to include extra code, because session mgmt isn't part
of the X11 protocol (most GNOME apps do, using a freedesktop.org(?)
standard).  Even if RP understands it, many apps won't.

Of course, if you're just wanting ratpoison to act as a CLIENT for
session mgmt, that's not so impossible.  I don't know if people want
that sort of thing in RP; it seems a bit wanky to me.

What exactly is your problem with RP + gnome-session?  Perhaps we can
work out a solution without implementing a whole extra standard.

Presumably you're using GNOME2?

-trent

--
 I work for an investment bank.  I have dealt with code written by stock
 exchanges.  I have seen how  the computer systems that store your money