[RP] Re: Session Managment

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: [RP] Re: Session Managment
Date: Mon Sep 15 10:32:05 2003

* twb <address@hidden> [Sep, 15 2003 14:00]:
> > Would it be painful to add session management to ratpoison?
>
> Last time I checked, yes.  To do any sort of session management, *EVERY*
> managed app has to include extra code, because session mgmt isn't part
> of the X11 protocol (most GNOME apps do, using a freedesktop.org(?)
> standard).  Even if RP understands it, many apps won't.
>
> Of course, if you're just wanting ratpoison to act as a CLIENT for
> session mgmt, that's not so impossible.  I don't know if people want
> that sort of thing in RP; it seems a bit wanky to me.
yes, this is what I want.  sorry for not specifying that ;-).  i really
don't care much for the other stuff.
> What exactly is your problem with RP + gnome-session?  Perhaps we can
> work out a solution without implementing a whole extra standard.
the problem is that it isn't listed in the gnome-session-capplet thingy,
you have to load ratpoison as a startup application.  this seems to be
because it doesn't act as a session client (for SMlib or Xt or similar).
> Presumably you're using GNOME2?
yes,
        nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,php,war3  :::