Re: [RP] ANSI escape sequences

From: Justis Peters
Subject: Re: [RP] ANSI escape sequences
Date: Mon Nov 24 06:27:07 2003

Shawn Betts address@hidden wrote:
> What do other people think about this patch?

I think that these kinds of notifications really belong in a separate app, like
xmessage or xdialog.  I agree that there needs to be something that does a
better job of this (perhaps there already is?).  What would be really cool is
if we pulled the ratpoison message bar out into its own code that could be
called by ratpoison and by anything else that wanted to.  This way, the message
handler becomes modular.  For example, if I wanted to write my own wrapper that
logs all ratpoison messages, this would allow me to.

Other thoughts?  One of the things I like about ratpoison is how lean it is.
Having the message handler be modular allows people to go with the lean
(default) version or to upgrade to one they like better (without requiring a
patch to the core code).

Thanks for asking, btw.  One of the things I like about ratpoison is that the
features are based on community opinion (even though my tastes are sometimes
different).  Keep up the good work!

Sincerely,
Justis Peters