Re: [RP] ratpoison configuration howto updated

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [RP] ratpoison configuration howto updated
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 13:37:39 -0700

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 03:37:44PM -0400, Shawn Betts wrote:
Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

Perhaps this is a ratpoison bug?  Is ratpoison assuming that a keysym
will only be bound to ONE key, so not detecting when I hit keycode
111, because it things "Print" only applies to keycode 92?

The problem is in input.c:keysym_to_keycode_mod().

It uses the X call XKeysymToKeycode, which takes a keysym and returns a
keycode. The problem is multiple keycodes can map to the same keysym,
which is what you've done. I don't know how to request all keycodes
that a keysym is bound to. If that can be figured out, when the
function could return a list of keycodes.

There is no function that returns all the keycodes that map to a
particular keysym.  So we'd have to roll our own.  We need to do this
once at startup, and then whenever the MappingNotify event happens.
The function XGetKeyboardMapping() returns all the info needed to
construct an internal table of keycodes and keysym mappings.
    (info courtesy of Josh Triplett)

Ugly, yes.  But no other way to do it in X.  There are two different
keycodes which are standard for mapping the Print keysym, so Debian, and
possibly other distros, by default maps the Print keysym to both of
them.
    (info courtesy of Trent Buck)

Jonathan

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Jonathan Walther
Address: 12706 99 Ave, Surrey, BC V3V2P8 (Canada)
Contact: 604-684-1319 (daytime)
Contact: 604-582-9308 (morning and evening)
Website: http://reactor-core.org/
Puritan: Purity of faith, Purity of doctrine
Puritan: Sola Scriptura, Tota Scriptura

     Love is a sharp sword.  Hold it by the right end.