[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Access to GNU projects' webpages by GNU we

From: Karl Berry
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Access to GNU projects' webpages by GNU webmasters
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 19:09:53 GMT

    - we migrate to something more modern, i.e. allowing each project to
      choose its own VCS for webpages (this has been requested by users
      numerous times);

Indeed.  The issue at hand has been resolved and webmasters have access
to the GNU web page CVS repos again.

For the record, though, here is my argument for keeping those GNU /web
pages under CVS for the time being.  I wrote this in response to someone
who asked me about switching his package's web pages to git:

1) no single VC would suit everyone;

2) supporting multiple VC's would require lots of changes to the
   infrastructure and tools, taking lots of time -- especially of the
   FSF sysadmins, whose time is scarcest of all;

3) and so, it seems the least of evils to just continue with CVS for the
   web pages for now.

Anyway, the first change to be made in this regard will be to switch www
itself from CVS, primarily so changes can be better tested on something
other than the live www.gnu.org.  (Yavor, by now you've probably seen
the www-discuss mail about that.  Email me with your thoughts ...)
After that happens, maybe we can turn our attention to the project
repos.

Best,
Karl