[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Access to GNU projects' webpages by GNU we

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Access to GNU projects' webpages by GNU webmasters
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:14:45 +0200

At Tue, 7 Dec 2010 22:00:44 +0100,
Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> I clearly remember that at a point, I saw a communication from a GNU
> webmaster stating that it was no longer necessary to provide a way
> for 'www' members to access to per-projects webpages
> (www.gnu.org/s/*).  I don't mind re-enabling this, but I'd like to
> know whether my memory is failing me.

There's probably some misunderstanding.  Webmasters dropped the (mass)
practice of modifying projects' web repositories, so the whole web
setup (tightly relying on CVS) appeared rather questionable.  However,
certain people (like Karl) need to have a way to modify these pages --
e.g., a package gets orphaned, and some info needs to be put there.

It makes sense to restrict access to per-project webpages, iff

- we migrate to something more modern, i.e. allowing each project to
  choose its own VCS for webpages (this has been requested by users
  numerous times);

- there is still a way for Karl & co to intervene when necessary.

As johns said, there are some webmasters willing to work on /software
with the maintainers' consent, so I guess the issue is still
"undecided".