[Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU-Darwin: the savannah facility

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: GNU-Darwin: the savannah facility
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:59:52 -0700 (MST)

    In light of the recent news regarding Sourceforge, we are considering
    alternatives.  Do you have the infrastructure to support a major
    Sourceforge project, like GNU-Darwin?

CVS and Savannah people, please note that GNU-Darwin is not a
GNU-sponsored activity.  It is an attempt to reconcile GNU and Darwin;
the intentions are entirely good, but the consequences could be
headaches.

    Finally, for your information, we have considered applying as GNU
    project, but we have hesitated because of the situation with the APSL.
    If Darwin were freed, then we would definitely submit an application as
    a GNU project.

If Darwin were freed, the problems would be gone.  Then maybe this
could be a GNU project.  But Apple stands in the way of this, and we
have no way to persuade Apple to change.

Given the actual situation today, I think that the name "GNU-Darwin"
is likely to mislead people--they will think that it is endorsed
by the GNU Project.