Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:32:40 +0100

Georg C. F. Greve writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I just spent a lot of time on the phone with Jörg Schilling who was
 > quite upset about http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/dvdrtools/ because
 > he felt the FSF was officially trying to harm his work on Free
 > Software.

        Thanks for contributing to the support center of Savannah ;-)
So far we've not heard any complaint of this kind. But it does not means
that they do not exist, only that they were not spoken to us.

        On thing we should do (it's long overdue) is to clearly separate
the look of the two sites. Regarding the domain name there are drawbacks
and advantages: people think that projects are carried out by the FSF (wrong)
and it spreads the name of the FSF (good). As of now people are very aware
that Savannah is provided by the GNU project, with strong support of the
FSF (good) but some people also think that all projects using Savannah are
blessed by the GNU project and the FSF (bad).

        I'm not sure what can (should) be done to avoid this. If
people think that another domain name can bring more good than harm,
I'm not against it. I honestly can't measure the benefit/drawback and
will rely on other people opinion on this subject.

        Cheers,