Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:49:38 +0100

Some ideas that popped up when thinking about it were:

   http://guests.fsf.org/<projectname>/
   http://foreign-projects.fsf.org/<projectname>/
   http://hosted.fsf.org/<projectname>/

Strange feeling reading theses lines saying, for example that Freeciv, KDE or Gimp are « foreign sofware ».
What about Free Software community?
Have you think about Brave GNU World : one could think that software listed here are under the FSF copyright!!!

Should we make a hierarchy between Free Software to be nice with people that dont want to make the effort to inform them a little : What kind of Free Software's developpers are the ones who have never heard about savannah?.

On the other hand I'm not sure it is strictly necessary to use the fsf
TLD to make sure people know the FSF provides resources.

hu?
People that have never heard anything about Savannah should be able to understand be themselves that FSF provide this ressources?

To me, it make sense that a GNU project software is located in
www.gnu.org/softwares
And that a FSF approved project software is located in
www.freesoftware.fsf.org

Dvdtool project description has been reviewed by savannah hackers. They have (and it's seem right to me) choosed to ACCEPT hosting this project, since it's clearly a Free Software. It's a freedom that Free Software give to make a fork. It's probably not the better way but it's completely legal.

So savannah hackers AND the FSF have surely a part of responsability in this.

The FSF in
www.freesoftware.fsf.org
means:
- the FSF provide ressource
- the FSF thinks this project is Free Software and so, support it.

The FSF should take his responsabilty and choose:
- to reject project that is fork (that would be strange, since php3 can be see as a fork)
or
- to accept any kind of Free Software project and assume what hosting a project means

--
mathieu

  ] les brevets, protection de l'innovation ?
  ] http://petition.eurolinux.org