Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org

From: Georg C. F. Greve
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Download area/hosting on freesoftware.fsf.org
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 11:36:08 +0100

Hi Loïc,

 || On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:32:40 +0100
 || Loic Dachary <address@hidden> wrote:

 ld> Regarding the domain name there are drawbacks and advantages:
 ld> people think that projects are carried out by the FSF (wrong) and
 ld> it spreads the name of the FSF (good). As of now people are very
 ld> aware that Savannah is provided by the GNU project, with strong
 ld> support of the FSF (good) but some people also think that all
 ld> projects using Savannah are blessed by the GNU project and the
 ld> FSF (bad).

 ld>    I'm not sure what can (should) be done to avoid this.

Maybe we could use the advantages while avoiding the disadvantages if
we chose another subdomain under fsf.org that made it reasonably clear
these projects are not official FSF projects. What that might be I'm
not entirely sure.

Some ideas that popped up when thinking about it were:

   http://guests.fsf.org/<projectname>/
   http://foreign-projects.fsf.org/<projectname>/
   http://hosted.fsf.org/<projectname>/

On the other hand I'm not sure it is strictly necessary to use the fsf
TLD to make sure people know the FSF provides resources.

It is unfortunate that the savannah.org domain appears to be
taken. But maybe someone has an idea for another TLD we might use for
this?

Regards,
Georg

--