[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Grace

From: dennison
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Grace
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:07:14 -0500

Ted Dennison <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: other
Other License: For this effort to succeed, it will ultimately need to be a
facility that all vendors will feel compelled to ship with their Ada compilers.
Unfourtunately, using the GPL would actively work against that goal. Thus the
general consensus has been to make the specifications (Ada\'s equivalent of
C\'s .h files) public domain. Any implementations (eg: Ada\'s equivalent of
C\'s .c files) we develop will be \"reference implementations\", and will be
released under the same license used for the GNU Ada compiler (the fourth
license listed at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#TOCGPLCompatibleLicenses ), which
is commonly known in the Ada community as the GMGPL. Vendors who do not wish to
abide by that license will still be free to develop their own implementations
of the PD specs, but of course will have to do all the development and testing
work themselves. I suspect most will just use the GMGPL implementation.

Documentation has not been discussed yet, but the most sensible scheme would be
to license \"reference\" materials as Public Domain, so that they can be
distributed wherever the PD specs are distributed. \"user guides\" would be
released using a free documentation license (most likely the GNU Free Document
License, but that has yet to be decided).
Package: Grace
System name: grace

Grace is intended to be a devolopment project for the next level of standard
Ada libraries. Ada is generally considered a superior software development
language, but many feel they still can\'t use it for serious work due to its
compartively weak support library (compared to C++\'s STL and MFC, and Java\'s
assorted libraries for example). Ada has some good stuff in its standard
library, there just isn\'t enough of it. It needs to be dramaticly extended,
but there isn\'t a big company in the Ada community (like AT&T and Microsoft
for C++ or Sun for Java) to lead the effort. So we feel the Ada user community
itself must step up and fill the void, to create a more complete Ada standard
library.

The first goal is a software component library. We intend to take on other
subprojects as well, but growth in the amount of subprojects must be managed
well. We do not want to take on too much at once. There is great interest in
the Ada community in this project, but our community is relatively small, so a
rapid dispersion of focus could be fatal to the whole effort. Discussions and
organization has mostly been carried out in comp.lang.ada. The current focus is
on producing a standard list component. That has been accomplished, and now we
need a place to host the results and to help facilitate our further efforts in
a more organized fashion.

This project has been going on for about 4 moths now. I\'d say I\'ve seen at
least 15 different people participating, including 3 submitting code. There is
no real homepage yet. Most discussions so far have occured on the comp.lang.ada
newsgroup.