[Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:21:36 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:

>       Hi,
>
>       The license status of your software is confused for me. Either
> it is under the X11 license or it is not.

I want LMS to be available under the Public Domain. However, no such
option appeared on the licenses' list. Please let me know what exactly do
I need to choose so I won't have to submit my project for the fourth time.

> At present the situation is
> unclear. Could you fix this please (adding a copyright notice and X11
> license notice at the beginning of each file for instance) and submit your
> project again ?

I'm not going to add a copyright (or in my case - lack of it) notice at
the beginning of each file, because for the time being I have better things to
do with my time.

However, I believe the file COPYING speaks for itself, and AFAIK that's
all that is required to designate the project as PD.

>       Also I would appreciate if you could change the sentence:
>
> "Relax, this is not GPL software, but rather it is distributed under the
> public domain. "
>
>       which kind of implies that GPL is wrong or something. Maybe that's
> not what you intended to say but it gives this impression.

It's a spoof on the fact that whenever I (and probably others) download a
software and see the file COPYING there, they assume it is GPL. I ripped
it from Freecell Solver, which is a more mature project that I coded. So,
I kind of tell them to relax because it is distributed under a less
restrictive license.

Oh, and for the record, it does imply that I'm not too fond of the GPL.
My software is GPL compliant and I made derived works based on GPL code,
but I try to avoid using it for my own start-up projects.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden
Home E-mail:       address@hidden