Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver

From: mathieu
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:56:06 +0200

> At present the situation is
> unclear. Could you fix this please (adding a copyright notice and
X11
> license notice at the beginning of each file for instance) and
submit your
> project again ?

I'm not going to add a copyright (or in my case - lack of it) notice
at
the beginning of each file, because for the time being I have better
things to
do with my time.

In fact, this more a requirement than a request.

Since any files of a free software can be extracted from this project and put in an another project, any files should provide a copyright and license notice.

You can do this with ease with a small shell command as, for example, typing it in each dirs :

echo "/* copyright bla bla */" > copyright.tmp
for file in *; do cat copyright.tmp > "$file".tmp && cat "$file" >> "$file.tmp" && mv -f "$file.tmp" "$file" ; done
rm -f copyright.tmp

It's a spoof on the fact that whenever I (and probably others)
download a
software and see the file COPYING there, they assume it is GPL. I
ripped
it from Freecell Solver, which is a more mature project that I coded.
So,
I kind of tell them to relax because it is distributed under a less
restrictive license.

To me, public domain is free beer for proprietary developpers.
As you can see, anyone can give personnal point of views as this.

But, for your project hosted on savannah, it should be better to avoid giving this kind of point of views. Using savannah dont mean you agree with everything written on gnu.org, but savannah project description is not the right place to criticizes GNU licenses or GNU Philosophy.

Oh, and for the record, it does imply that I'm not too fond of the
GPL.

It was some kind self explaining.

mathieu