Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Logic Mazes Solver
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:14:45 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, mathieu wrote:

> > > At present the situation is
> > > unclear. Could you fix this please (adding a copyright notice and
> > X11
> > > license notice at the beginning of each file for instance) and
> > submit your
> > > project again ?
> > >

> > I'm not going to add a copyright (or in my case - lack of it) notice
> > at
> > the beginning of each file, because for the time being I have better
> > things to
> > do with my time.
>
> In fact, this more a requirement than a request.
>
> Since any files of a free software can be extracted from this project
> and put in an another project, any files should provide a copyright and
> license notice.

But it's PD. I don't care if those files are extracted from this project
and placed in another project. ;-)

> You can do this with ease with a small shell command as, for example,
> typing it in each dirs :
>
> echo "/* copyright bla bla */" > copyright.tmp
> for file in *; do cat copyright.tmp > "$file".tmp && cat "$file" >>
> "$file.tmp" && mv -f "$file.tmp" "$file" ; done
> rm -f copyright.tmp

I know, I know. But I usually like to put something more meaningful in the
license, than just a copyright notice. Something like:

/*
        hello.c - a file to print "Hello World" on this screen.

        This file uses a cutting-edge hyper-modular design of
        calling printf to print the relevant string to the standard
        output.

        Written by Shlomi Fish, 2002
        This file is under the public domain.
*/

> > It's a spoof on the fact that whenever I (and probably others)
> > download a
> > software and see the file COPYING there, they assume it is GPL. I
> > ripped
> > it from Freecell Solver, which is a more mature project that I coded.
> > So,
> > I kind of tell them to relax because it is distributed under a less
> > restrictive license.
>
> To me, public domain is free beer for proprietary developpers.
> As you can see, anyone can give personnal point of views as this.

Fine with me.

> But, for your project hosted on savannah, it should be better to avoid
> giving this kind of point of views. Using savannah dont mean you agree
> with everything written on gnu.org, but savannah project description is
> not the right place to criticizes GNU licenses or GNU Philosophy.

It's not in the project description - it's in the COPYING file. Should the
contents of Logic Mazes Solver be maintained so no parts of them parodies
the GPL in any way?

Maybe you should ask RMS to add a clause to the GPL stating that a work that
links against it, may not mock it or the GNU philosophy in any way. Of
course, that may make it a non-free license, and it would become
incompatible with itself.[1]

> > Oh, and for the record, it does imply that I'm not too fond of the
> > GPL.
>
> It was some kind self explaining.

Well, I just wanted to make my opinions on the GPL a little clearer.
Please, I'd just like to host a free software project. In every other
place I tried, starting a project was much more straightforward than here.
Are Rindolf and Logic Mazes Solver the only cases where a project had to
be re-submitted at least two times, just to get accepted?

If I may ask, what is the source of all this paranoia? IMO, you are
scaring people off your service.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> Regards,