[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Bug #1260] New "nongnu.org" site breaks sessions

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Bug #1260] New "nongnu.org" site breaks sessions and prefs
Date: 25 Sep 2002 11:19:24 +0200

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> Savannah could set cookies for both savannah.gnu.org and
> savannah.non-gnu.org. That can be done with a few changes in the php
> scripts.

No, it requires several changes. Apparently, normally a server can set cookies
only for his domain.

> But a lot of users will have their browsers set up to refuse cookies
> that do not belong to the same site that issues it, making those
> changes useless.

No, only few users have browser set up to refuse cookies. And with
their browser set up like this, they probably can use only website
without dynamic content. That would mean no /. , no freshmeat, no
linuxfr.org, no gnu-friends.org ...

People that do not like at all cookies can a remove theme on a daily
basis or use a recent web browser that will allow them to fordib
cookies for some selected sites (as galeon do, for instance).

> I think our best option at this moment is to move theme prefs from
> the cookies into the database (as it was originally in
> SourceForge). I know that Mathieu had some good reasons to switch
> theme prefs from the database to a cookie, but at this moment I
> think it is a high priority to make life easier for Savannah users.

Originally in SF, cookies was required to log in.
The theme preference is set by cookies and store in the database. But
cookies can be access while user is not logged in, while database is
not. Also, it avoids adding one more query to the database.

The high priority is surely to make life easier for users, but
removing cookies is not really making the life easier for users (how
it would be ?) but is definitely complicating our life.
Making the life easier for users would surely be changing many things
in the interface (screenshots of the proprietary SF.net are
interesting).

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<