[Savannah-hackers] Re: [Bug #1260] New "nongnu.org" site breaks sessions

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: [Bug #1260] New "nongnu.org" site breaks sessions and prefs
Date: 25 Sep 2002 11:45:02 +0200

"Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 11:19:24AM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden> said:
> >
> > > Savannah could set cookies for both savannah.gnu.org and
> > > savannah.non-gnu.org. That can be done with a few changes in the php
> > > scripts.
> >
> > No, it requires several changes. Apparently, normally a server can set
> > cookies
> > only for his domain.
>
> It's as simple as writing the following header for the HTML page:
>   Set-Cookie: NAME=whatever; expires=some-date; path=/; domain=non-gnu.org
>
> They do it all the time in our school's server.

It does not work with the PHP setcookie function. We surely do not
want to deal with cookies by differents means, do we?

Also, setting cookie in HTML would means including HTML content... And
many times, cookies are included via PHP before any HTML
content... And inserting HTML content before page headers would broke
many many things, as page redirection. In fact, it would probably
means rewriting 20 % of the current savannah code.

> > The high priority is surely to make life easier for users, but
> > removing cookies is not really making the life easier for users (how
> > it would be ?) but is definitely complicating our life.
> > Making the life easier for users would surely be changing many things
> > in the interface (screenshots of the proprietary SF.net are
> > interesting).
>
> I did not propose the removal of cookies; I said that they could be used for
> the log-in and then get the users prefs. from the database.

If I switched to cookies to deal with that, it was following loic
advices, since accessing database cant be done at any moment, unlike
accessing cookies, and for some reasons, accessing prefs sometime
requires to be done at the very beginning of a page loading.

The second advantage of usage of cookies is the fact that user can
have savannah with their preferencies whether they are logged-in or
not.

About theme, for instance, the cookie is stored for a year. It means
that if you login only one time on savannah gnu and nongnu and click
update on your account maintenance page, you will get the correct
theme, logged in or not.

Another point is the fact that maybe users, for some reason, will want
to use differents preferencies for savannah.gnu.org and
savannah.nongnu.org.

--
Mathieu Roy

 << GPG Key  << http://gpg.coleumes.org              <<