Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:54:15 -0500

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 09:12:48PM +0100, Dejan Lozanovic wrote:
> Ok, since I don't have place where to put my source code I'm sending it to
> you,the url I gave you was the early stage where i didn't plan to publish it.
> Now since most of the work is done I'm start to thinkging where to publish my
> work . I'm sorry because src/sim/rand.h is not documented in english but I
> will document it soon.

Your files are ok.  But all of them have the LGPL permission to copy
statements.  I thought you were going to release the sim under the
GPL?

> > I don't know if I understand you right, but this is the way I see it:
> >

> > When you program something and put it under the GPL you do not have to
> > release the source code IF you don't distribute your binary.
> > When you distribute your binary you have to give the sources with
> > it (or make it possible to request it).
> >
> > So, if you distribute your library under the GPL other people can
> > change and use it.  They only have to release their code if they
> > distribute their binary.
> >
> > Also if you release your library under the LGPL a nonfree program can
> > use your library.  And if they would distribute that program they
> > still have to release the code of your library with the changes.
> >
> > Do you understand?
>
> Yes I understand it perfectly, but it has two opposite features: one is
> secret
> because if players realease their code under GPL it would spoil the fun,
> since players can look at the opposite code and write counter robot in a few
> minutes or made a same robot as his cometition. This is why I released
> libaiarena under LGPL instead of pure GPL.

I think you don't understand what I mean.  Maybe I wasn't clear
enough.

If they release their code under the LGPL they still have to give the
code with it (when they distribute their code).

This is also with the GPL.

They don't have to share their code if they don't distribute their
code.

So if you release the library under the GPL this wouldn't spoil the
fun.

Everbody can change it and keep it secret, but it still remains free
software.  They only have to share their code if they plan to
distribute their code.

If you would choose the LPGL, then this is also true.  BUT somebody
else can link your library with a non free program.  And distribute
that non free software without sharing the code of the non free
program.  He still has to distribute the code of your library.

If your libray would be released under the GPL then the non free
program must become free software.

U see?

> I had dopubts about licencning libaiarena and here what some of your friends
> said about this.

Vincent is wrong.

Rudy
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org