Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of aiarena - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:49:10 -0500

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 05:38:29PM +0100, Dejan Lozanovic wrote:
> Yes but if I organize a league they will distribute their code and this would
> spoil the fun after first round. since everybody will have all ideas. and
> could take all other source codes. And result everybody would have the same
> program and that is what I wish to avoid.

Why can't you agree to not distribute the libraries before the end of
the first round?

> And soultion for that is temporary
> non-free programs :(((, but they could'n not use the library to create
> comercial programs :)))

That is not true.

Note that commercial does not mean proprietary.

Free Software means that users have certain freedoms; it does
not mean zero price.  "Commercial" means "associated with
business"; a commercial program may be free or non-free,
depending on its license.  So it is a mistake to treat
"free" and "commercial" as contraries.  When a business
develops free software, that is free commercial software.

> since the library is dump and it is tight bounded to
> the simulator :))) ( simulator do everithing).

> I will try to encourage players to release their programs as free softvare.
> allow others to catchs some ideas.

You can force your players to release their programa as free software
if you use the GPL.  This is why the GPL is so good.  It keeps our
freedom!

You just don't have to force your players to distribute their code.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you :)

Anyway, if you still think that using the LGPL is better, you are free
to do so.  I suggest you submit the library as a different project.
I'll approve it asap.

Rudy

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms