Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:28:26 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 08:40:42PM +0300, Stelios Xanthakis wrote:

> Sorry I didn't include the URL. I thought there would
> be a form asking for it but it had to be included in the
> description part. Oh well..
> The URL is:
>
> http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/twgui/
>

> >Regarding the license, since you are using PyQt, which is released
> >under the GNU GPL, your program has to be released under the GNU GPL
> >as well.
>
> I don't know for sure. You guys tell me. I'm not actually *using*
> PyQT but providing a wrapper for it. So if, say, wxPython has
> another license, its wrapper will have that license?
>
> I think the Python License would be the best choice because it's
> the GPL of the python world.

For consistency, it is usually better indeed.
For example: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#PerlLicense
"We recommend you use this license for any Perl 4 or Perl 5 package
you write, to promote coherence and uniformity in Perl
programming. Outside of Perl, we urge you not to use this license; it
is better to use just the GNU GPL."

However, in this case, you have to comply with the Qt license (the GNU
GPL), as it is a copylefted work. Also check
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation to see that
you are indeed using PyQt.

Gtk+ and pyGtk are released under the GNU LGPL, which allows you to
use it from any kind of program under certain condition, so it doesn't
require you to use a particular license.

wxWidgets/wxPython are released under the GNU GPL + blanket permission
to link it in any kind of program - similar to the GNU LGPL.

All in all, your work is bound to the GNU GPL.

You can include any work released under the Python license in your
library, though, because the Python license is compatible with the GNU
GPL.

In order to release your project properly and unambiguously under the
GPL, please place copyright notices and permission-to-copy statements at
the beginning of every file of source code.

In addition, please include a copy of the plain text version of the
GPL, available from http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt, into a file
named "COPYING".

For more information, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html.

The GPL FAQ explains why these procedures must be followed.  To learn
why a copy of the GPL must be included with every copy of the code, for
example, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhyMustIInclude.

If you are willing to make the changes mentioned above, please provide
us with an URL to an updated tarball of your project.  Upon review, we
will reconsider your project for inclusion in Savannah.