Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 23:40:41 +0200

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:09:53PM +0300, Stelios Xanthakis wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> >However, in this case, you have to comply with the Qt license (the GNU
> >GPL), as it is a copylefted work. Also check
> >http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation to see that
> >you are indeed using PyQt.
> >

> Ahh. I see.
> I'm trying to make a wrapper for Tkinter which I guess is
> python license.

It is -- being part of Python.

> So it seems more fair that it's all under python
> license (otherwise I would prefer a different
> license for each wrapper: the license of the toolkit
> wrapped).

Tell me if I am wrong, but if you are releasing each wrapper
independently, then your project is not very useful, since there are
already such individual wrappers. If on the contrary you release all
the wrapper under a single interface, then you need to comply with
each wrapper's license for this meta-wrapper. For now, the GNU GPL is
the only license that complies with the 4 toolkits you mentioned.

> If I put a file COPYING with the Python License and a
> one-liner in each source file saying that it's under PL,
> will it be ok?

I don't think so - since as I said, you are bound to the GNU GPL.

In any case, you also need to include a copyright notice (check
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html)