Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org

From: Stelios Xanthakis
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] submission of twilight GUI - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:50:02 +0300 (EET DST)

It's not making sense.

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
So it seems more fair that it's all under python
license (otherwise I would prefer a different
license for each wrapper: the license of the toolkit
wrapped).

Tell me if I am wrong, but if you are releasing each wrapper
independently, then your project is not very useful, since there are
already such individual wrappers. If on the contrary you release all
the wrapper under a single interface, then you need to comply with
each wrapper's license for this meta-wrapper. For now, the GNU GPL is
the only license that complies with the 4 toolkits you mentioned.

I think it is unfair to put the other -more liberal-
projects under GPL. Let me explain:
If someone doesn't agree to GPL, he won't have PyQT
installed in the first place so he will be *unable* to
use the PyQT wrapper anyway.
In other words, *using* the wrapper automatically
means that the user has accepted the license of the toolkit
wrapped.

So, a developer who doesn't accept GPL may develop
using another wrapper but the user who accepted the
termd and conditions of pyqt shall be able to render
the application in pyqt.

We have seen BSD projects including GPL code and GPL project
including BSD code. So why isn't it possible to distribute
the four files in one package, each file under its
own license again?

Stelios