Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] missing SSL cert from savannah site
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:39:04 -0400

    > I know nothing about this; I might not know how to do it.
    > I hope you are not saying that people like me are unimportant
    > when we judge what Savannah should do.

    No, not at all.  It's perfectly OK not to know or bother (but we
    provide simple instructions for those who care nevertheless).  In
    which case it does not matter if the certificate is issued by a CA in
    the browser's certificate store or whatever.

I think there is some misunderstanding here.

As I understand it, some operations will fail with an error
which users like me won't understand and won't know how to get past.
That is what people have said.

Are you saying it is not so?

    Perhaps it's worth mentioning that CAcert's root certificate is
    included in most major distros, and all browsers are modified to check
    the system's certificate store.

But not Windows, and maybe not Mac OS.

Most computer users use those systems.  In our community of developers,
the fraction using those systems is smaller, but still large.

If our support were crucial to CAcert's eventual success, that would
be a strong argument to give it our support by continuing to use that
certificate.  But it seems that our support, in this form, won't
really help CAcert at all.