Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:55:26 -0700

Dear Marcelo,

Thanks for writing.

This is a new constraint of which I was unaware. I can only ask "Why!". At what
level, and what level of detail, would the histories be lost? If I split into
the two repos you suggest, why would this protect the histories. Also I presume
you are talking about the histories prior to pushing to the Git repo as an
initial load -- surely the histories *after* the repo is set up on savannah
will continue to be generated?

If ongoing histories *are* generated, would the loss of earlier Git histories
matter, as they are mostly covered in the SVN repo and really represent
cleaning up work? But why would the existing histories not be kept (i.e. why
would the copies have to be shallow copies?). Is that a bug in Git that is
documented as a "feature"! :-)

If the ongoing histories are *not* generated after the new repo is populated,
then Git would have a fatal flaw, and I am sure that is not so.

The earlier histories could be covered in the README, or other documentation,
if you are just taling about the histories that should be in full copies.

No wonder I get frustrated. This is as bad as Dungeons & Dragons!

I am looking for the simplest, cleanest repo(s) -- preferably just one.
Submodules cause plenty of their own problems in a shared public repository,
with several subprojects.

I admit, I am still learning, will investigate further, and am open to advice &
suggestions.

Warm regards.

david