Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository

From: Steve Nygard
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:37:48 -0600

> On 2015-09-18, at 14:16, David Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> You will have just seen a copy of my response to Marcelo. If, in fact, the
> full history from Steve's work on Monet is worth keeping in full for git log
> access, instead of putting it in a text file, I could add it to the initial
> commit message, so it would appear almost as if the log were complete.

No.

The change history is far more than just the log of commit messages.  It
includes the actual changes, and can be manipulated -- diffs between versions,
bisecting to find bugs.  When I converted the subversion repository to Git, I
was very careful to preserve the entire history of changes.

I have repositories that I've migrated from CVS to Subversion to Mercurial and
then to Git, all the while preserving the entire change history.  It's that
important.  I consider the history to be almost as important as the source
itself, and casually suggesting discarding it is very alarming!

The other thing that wiping out the change history does is separate it from the
existing repositories.  You'll no longer be able to easily pull and push
changes between them.  It will be harder to incorporate changes that I make in
the future, or that Marcelo makes to his.

David, you want a single repository.  Marcelo doesn't want to see all the OS X
stuff that he doesn't use.  And I don't want to see 12 years of change history
trashed.

Given those constraints, submodules are the best solution.  We can add
GnuspeechSA as a submodule of my repository.  Marcelo can continue his work in
his repository, and you can have both projects together.  I'll have to read up
a bit on submodules, since I rarely use them, but that's not a problem.  (I
believe savannah would need to have a clone of GnuspeechSA before we add it as
a submodule, otherwise it will refer to the github one.  Although I imagine it
would be possible to update after -- I'll have to look at the help.)

Steve