Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository

From: Marcelo Y. Matuda
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Gnuspeech - git repository
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 23:12:05 -0300

On 2015-09-18, at 16:37, Steve Nygard <address@hidden> wrote:

Given those constraints, submodules are the best solution.  We can
add GnuspeechSA as a submodule of my repository.  Marcelo can
continue his work in his repository, and you can have both projects
together.  I'll have to read up a bit on submodules, since I rarely
use them, but that's not a problem.  (I believe savannah would need
to have a clone of GnuspeechSA before we add it as a submodule,
otherwise it will refer to the github one.  Although I imagine it
would be possible to update after -- I'll have to look at the
help.)

Hmm, I stand corrected.  Submodules are horrible beyond belief!  This
is why I don't use them.  Way too much complexity for the goal of
having a single repository to check out.  I don't think it would
benefit anyone to use submodules, alas.

I maintain that just having two repositories, gnuspeech and
gnuspeechsa, is BY FAR the simplest solution.  I don't consider
wiping out the change history an option.

Steve.

My "vote" is also for two separate repositories:

gnuspeech.git (existing)
gnuspeech/gnuspeechsa.git (new)

This solution doesn't use submodules, and retain the history.

I may push the code to gnuspeech/gnuspeechsa.git for you, David.

Regards,
Marcelo