Re: Dependence on nonfree software

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Dependence on nonfree software
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 12:13:07 -0500

   So I think the Savannah hosting rules need to be modified
   to say that the criterion is about nonfree software to be run
   on the user's own computers, and that it does not apply to
   communication with services run by other people or entities.

   Would someone like to work on a draft of this change?

>From reading the requirements, I think it is already clear that
requirement is for software running on your machine, is it not?

  No dependencies on nonfree software

  To be hosted on Savannah, your project must be free software, and it
  must be kept independent of any nonfree software.  The package must
  not refer the user to any nonfree software; in other words, it must
  not say anything that in our judgment is likely to lead or steer
  users towards any nonfree software.  In particular, it must not
  automatically download or install any nonfree software.  For more
  info, see References to Non-Free Software and Documentation in the
  GNU Coding Standards.

  The program should deliver its full functionality and convenience on
  a completely free platform based on a free operating system, such as
  GNU/Linux, working entirely with other free software.  Otherwise, it
  would be an inducement to install nonfree operating systems or other
  nonfree software.

  It is ok for the program to run on nonfree platforms or nonfree
  operating systems, and to work with well-known nonfree applications,
  in addition to working with free software, provided it gives the
  free software at least as good support as it gives to nonfree
  counterparts.  In other words, at no time, in no way, should your
  program put free software users at a disadvantage compared to those
  willing to use proprietary software.