[Savannah-register-public] [task #9328] Submission of Video Blender NLE

From: klaatu
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9328] Submission of Video Blender NLE
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:06:43 +0000

nicodemo,
good question.  i understand that there are multiple ways to edit video in
linux already, but there are several reasons that they are not sufficient
answers to the issue of editing video.  Applications from emacs to ffmpeg can
even edit video, but then again, I could edit video with CinePaint + mencoder,
too; this doesn't mean they are realistically going to replace full featured
applications like Final Cut Pro and Smoke.

1. Blender is far more than just a 3d modeling app; it is also a compositing
app, which in modern filmmaking is an essential tool for a video editor to
have.  The need for digital mattes and other digital enhancement is part of
why computer-based filmmaking is so affordable, so a video editor claiming to
be a "professional" solution without the ability to do compositing is simply
not an option for many editors.

2. Blender also has also performed with unmatched stability for myself and
many video professionals I know.  When one is jockeying about video clips and
sound clips and effects, one needs serious stability.

3. Blender has unmatched speed compared to the other video editors I have
used on Linux, as well.

4. Blender also features a flexible and customizable UI; I do not mean from a
programming aspect, but from a user's perspective.  A video editor needs to
change screen layouts with amazing frequency, which is why, for instane, Final
Cut and Smoke have keyboard shortcuts just to change which screen pre-set you
are using.  Blender makes this just as easy.

5. Video Effects in Blender are plentiful and well integrated.

6, Blender already features a powerful text tool, far surpassing what i've
seen in other linux editors.

7. Blender is also progressing at an amazing speed, IMHO, toward being a
video powerhouse.  Its advances in compositing and interface improvements are
such that it will easily surpass proprietary software in many ways, and equal
them in others.  To make it a true free alternative, a robust video editor is
needed.

Those are my thoughts on the subject, anyway.  Most just based on my
experience with other linux video editors; mileage for other video people.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?9328>